October 5, 2014

Redesigning My Mom's Kitchen



When my mother turned 60, she had been living in her house for 20 years and hadn’t made many updates to the interior design. She had always kept the place clean and everything was in good shape, but it looked tired and boring, especially the kitchen. However, being a very practical woman, my mother didn’t see any sense in renovating when everything worked just fine. So one long weekend when my mother went to visit her sister, my brother and I decided to redesign the kitchen using pre-made cabinets.

Actually, we had planned the renovation for about a month. We plugged the measurements of my
mom’s kitchen (which we had taken in secret when she wasn’t at home) into this great website that creates an image of your room with the new cabinets so you can really see how the finished project will look. My mother’s previous cabinets had been so dark that the kitchen looked dreary, so this time we chose a lighter colored wood and picked up a cheery shade of yellow paint for the walls. We had the cabinets delivered to my brother’s house so that my mother wouldn’t suspect anything.


The pre-made cabinets were so easy to install that the three-day weekend was more than enough time to replace the cabinets and repaint the walls. In fact, taking out the old cabinets was more complicated than putting in the new ones! The wood was of a high quality, as promised by the website. We finished the entire project on Monday afternoon, and I could hardly sleep that night, waiting for my mom to come in on Tuesday morning. Her reaction was priceless – her jaw dropped and her eyes widened as she asked if she was in the right house! Even though there was nothing wrong with her old kitchen, my mother admitted that the remodeled version, with beautiful pre-made cabinets, was much better.