November 11, 2014

Bathroom Remodel


A few years after moving into a lovely old house, my friend decided to redo the main bathroom. Although it had a lot of space, the bathroom looked cluttered and disorganized, due to the lack of storage options. There was only a stand-alone sink and a few small cubbies built into the wall, meaning that the family’s towels, toiletries, and cleaning supplies were shoved into plastic bins stacked on top of each other. My friend’s first mission was to find affordable, ready to assemble cabinets that would look great and hold all of her family’s bathroom essentials.

My friend ordered her cabinets from this neat website that promised solid wood doors, frames and shelves, soft-closing hinges, and stainless steel supports. I must admit, the cabinets lived up to our expectations when they arrived. The quality was amazing and they fit perfectly in their place, as my friend had submitted the bathroom’s measurements to the website. The only thing that surprised me was my friend’s color choice: black. Who wants a black bathroom? But she insisted that she had seen an elegant design on one of those home remodeling shows, and I would have to wait for the finished product before judging.


With the help of her husband and oldest daughter, my friend had her bathroom repainted and the new ready to assemble cabinets installed in a weekend. The following week, she invited me over to check out their handiwork. She was right: with the addition of new fluffy white towels, some fun artwork, and cute vintage lamps, the black and white bathroom was quite sophisticated. Best of all, she had been able to get rid of those ugly plastic bins. Now I am just a bit jealous that I hadn’t thought of the black and white bathroom design first!